The transportation special purpose local option sales tax (T-SPLOST) voted on today includes an $806.1 million list of proposed regional projects that would be funded by taxes collected in the Three Rivers region. About $180 million of the funds would be designated for Carroll County. The 1-cent tax would be in place for 10 years.
Voters in each of the 12 districts in the state will vote for individual transportation project lists specific to their own districts. The vote outcome in each district will determine only if that district’s project list will be approved.
For example, the Three Rivers district includes the counties of Butts, Carroll, Coweta, Heard, Lamar, Meriwether, Pike, Spalding, Troup and Upson.
Voters in Carroll County will only be voting on projects on the Three Rivers district list. If the majority of voters in the entire district approve the referendum, the 1-cent tax will be levied on all the 10 counties in the district and all funds collected will go to all 10 counties in the district. Whether the tax is approved in individual counties does not matter.
The vote in the Atlanta district or in any other district in the state has no effect on Carroll County taxes.
If Three Rivers district voters approve the referendum, the sales tax rate in Carroll County would go from 7 to 8 cents. The tax would apply to all taxable sales except gasoline. Groceries are exempt from state sales tax but not local sales taxes.
Seventy-five percent of the T-SPLOST collections would go to fund projects on the regional list. The remaining 25 percent would be divided up among the counties and cities to be used as "discretionary" transportation funding, anything considered a transportation purpose, to be decided by the local municipality.
Information on the T-SPLOST and the entire list of Three River district transportation projects can be found by going online to www.threeriversrc.com, then clicking on “News.”
The list of Carroll County projects that will be approved if the T-SPLOST passes include:
• Bridge replacement on West Hickory Level Road, over Little Tallapoosa River, $787,575.
• Hog Liver Road widening and bridge, $13,255,976.
• Villa Rica bypass extension west from proposed State Route 61 bypass to State Route 101, $2,307,512.
• State Route 166 at Blandenburg Road, intersection improvements, $1,951,159.
• Highway 61/Industrial Blvd., operational improvements, $2,760,538.
• New roadway from Garrett Creek Road at Dixson Road intersection to Kent Avenue, $2,630,935.
• Jones Mill Road improvements, add 2 feet asphalt and 2 feet dirt shoulder to each side, $95,510.
• Centerpoint Road widening, $955,096.
• Widening of Temple-Centerpoint Road, add 2 feet asphalt, 2 feet shoulder each side, $462,267.
• Temple-Centerpoint Road widening, $275,000.
• Widening of Lowell Road, $649,645.
• South Van Wert Road widening, $739,244.
• Burwell-Mt. Zion Road, add 2 feet asphalt, 2 feet dirt shoulder, $486,171.
• Traffic signalization optimization program, $345,180.
• South Carroll Road widening project, $3,761,884.
• Cedar Street extension from State Route 166 to Folds Road, $2,880,000.
• Widening of Stockmar Road and intersection improvements at State Route 61/Dallas Highway and Stockmar Road, $659,626.
• Widening Kent Street from Tyus Road to Georgia Hwy. 100, $750,000.
• Jones Mill Road, widen by 2 feet on each side, $1,564,447.
• State Route 113 sidewalk improvements, $570,000.
• Widening County Road 826 (Five Points Road) from State Route 16 to Haralson County line, shoulder, $618,902.
• Sidewalks alongside Highway 16, $27,963.
• State Route 16 sidewalks in Mt. Zion, $100,000.
• Bowdon bypass, from Georgia Highway 166 at Farmers High Road to Georgia Highway 166 west of Bowdon, $16,075,803.
• Old Newnan Road improvements, add 2 feet asphalt, 2 feet dirt shoulder each side, $133,713.
• Bowdon-Tyus Road, widen shoulders, $970,378.
• Widen Clem-Lowell Road 2 feet each side, $1,115,552.
• Kilgore Road extension to State Route 166, $1,257,000.
• State Route 113 at grade NSRR rail separation project, $9,150,000.
• North Van Wert Road widening, $597,890.
• Widen Burwell Road, add 2 feet asphalt, 2 feet dirt shoulder, replace existing bridge, $1,820,963.
• Expansion of West Georgia Regional Airport, $11,411,035.
• Tyus-Carrollton Road, widen 2 feet to each lane, $1,659,957.
• State Route 166, from County Road 828/141 to Maple Street, from 2 to 4 lanes, including bridges, $52,243,223.
• and State Route 166 at Hay’s Mill Road, intersection improvements, $434,128.